SQL question

Paul Kocsis pkocsis at cox.net
Sun Jul 11 16:58:31 EDT 2004

What does your sql INSERT statement actually look like?  I guess I'm not
fully understanding the dilemma...I remember "way back" when using Informix,
there was a software system where it was important to obtain an Informix
"internally generated" column called 'rowid'.  (before Informix recommended
that one *not* utilize 'rowid'....or before I actually read that
recommendation ;)

...anyway, I seem to recall some dilemma in wanting to know the rowid of a
newly inserted record....so in that case, and maybe in yours, Andre's
suggestion of SELECTing for all the columns that you inserted is certainly
an avenue...provided that the collection of data from that record, as a set,
is guaranteed to be unique...if the collection of data columns is not
guaranteed to be unique...then you might have to add another column that is
either guaranteed to be unique itself, or at least make the collection of
all the inserted fields unique...for your subsequent SELECT...

...are we getting anywhere?

Paul Kocsis