sponateneous purging of a backscript?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Jul 9 14:53:59 EDT 2004

Hi Richard,

couple of things...

1) Jeanne's suggestion regarding changine the 'rev' prefix to something
else would be my first fix attempt. If RR is walking through the
backscripts and checking their owners, they could assume your backscript
is theirs, and do whatever with it.

2) Consider moving your backscript into a subStack of RevNet and start
using it. Perhaps backscripts are purged, but I've never seen an open
stack purged (and I've done a lot of rev prefixed plugins;-)

3) This is a bit controversial idea...but consider not using
backscripts, library stacks, or frontscripts in IDE plugins, unless you
*have to*. Each of these 'play outside the sandbox' and can interfere
with the IDE (you of course know this). All of my plugins which have
frontScripts (potentially the most troublesome) also have a toggle to
turn the frontScripts OFF. Course, when you close a plugin, the
frontScripts are removed automatically.

That being said, altPluginToolbar does have a libraryStack, which is
unique to it. I've never seen it interfere with anything, but you never
know. I'll probably move it all up to the mainStack stack script
sometime (as you are now doing as well), but as you know-- it's less
efficient there.

Some of the comments above, I know you already know-- but are included
for the sake of others who may stumble across this. One day I hope to
grow up and be as good a coder as you. :-)

best,

Chipp