armedIcon behavior

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Jul 9 09:35:31 EDT 2004

Morning John.

>I've been messing with the armedIcon setting, and it doesn't seem logical.
>My expectations are that I can simply have an image show when the mouse is
>over the button. I had several unexpected (and fairly annoying) results:

I created a one card stack with one button.

I set the button's icon & armedIcon properties.

I included in the button script:

on mouseDown
    put "The mouse is down"
end mouseUp

>- It didn't actually do anything until I had 'autoArm' and 'traversal' set
>to 'true'.

Both settings are necessary if you want the button to automatically
change icon image on mouseEnter & mouseLeave.  Neither setting is
required if one scripts the action:

on mouseEnter
    if word 1 of the long name of the target is "button" then set the
armed of the target to true
end mouseEnter

on mouseLeave
    if word 1 the long name of the target is "button" then set the
armed of the target to false
end mouseLeave

>- It automatically triggered the 'mouseDown' script.

Not here (RR 2.1.2, Mac OS 10.2.3)

>- 'Resuming' the stack automatically arms (and triggers) the last button
>that had the focus. This was really annoying!

When I select another Revolution stack and then resume the original
stack, the button is not armed.

When I select another application and then resume the stack, the
button "flashes" as it is armed and then disarmed. (RR 2.1.2, Mac OS
10.2.3); however the armed state does not persist and mouseDown is
NOT triggered.

>Is this the correct behavior? All I wanted to do was create a
>'rollover'...maybe I will switch to a simple 'mouseEnter/Leave' routine of
>my own.

As noted, I am unable to trigger mouseDown (except by physically
clicking the mouse while it is over the button); however, I agree
that the arming/disarming of the button when Rev is resumed after
another application was brought to the front doesn't seem right.  But
the triggering of mouseDown is caused by something else, IMFO.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company