Problems with printing graphics with patterns

Greg McIlhiney greg at mcilhiney.com
Thu Jul 8 02:33:49 EDT 2004

I'm just a few days into evaluating rev to port an existing HC
scheduling application to OS X, and possibly Windows. At this point
I'm simply trying to learn the product and investigate strategies for
implementing the functionality in rev. But I've run into an immediate
problem which I don't understand and was hoping that the wise souls
on the list might point me to a solution/alternative.

Like most calendar/scheduling programs, the background is a grid of
rectangular cells.  In HC I used the paint tools to create the
background graphic that was shared by a group of schedules.

The size of the rectangles must be dynamic as the user is dictating
how many days of the week there are (cols) and how many hours in the
day (rows). Each individual schedule is based upon one of the defined
templates. Card objects (fields) are then dragged/re-sized/edited and
snapped to the grid.

Now the background cells are typically not white. The user events are
white and float on top of the colored/patterned background. The user
needs to be able to indicate graphically that some time slots are
open/closed/reserved/etc. Here's an example of what it might look
like:

    http://krypton.fhda.edu/~hollins/rm_schedules/rmSch_E24.html

So my thought process in rev was to make a background type group of
dynamically created graphic rectangles shaded with a
backgroundColor(s). No problem here, seems pretty straight-forward.

The problem arises when I attempt to fill the rect with a pattern. I
realize that a graphic set for a background pattern negates any
background color set and only displays the pattern. That's too bad
but a work-around seems to be to put a rect with a pattern on top of
a solid rect and set the ink to srcOr.

Perfect. I've got a colored rect, possibly with a pattern, and this
looks great. BUT, it doesn't print properly, or at least it does not
on my system. So if I do this:

1) Create a new main stack.
2) Create a graphic rectangle.
3) In the Inspector choose Colors & Patterns.
4) Choose a backgroundPattern. Typically this would be a pattern that is
    similar to traditional paint program patterns, like the Metacard compatible
    pattern 3rd from the left in the top row.

Any pattern that I select displays perfectly on the screen.

But when I print the card, the rect is very dark gray. There's a
pattern in it but it does not resemble the selected pattern.

Now I've tried almost every thing I can think of to work/test around
this. I've made and imported my own pattern, I've copied the original
metacard pattern into the main stack, played with printing
properties, etc.

Seems like a pretty simple procedure... the steps above should
produce decent printed output, right? My system is:

a Mac G4, 10.3.4
Lexmark Laser printer
eval version of rev 2.2.1

Here is another oddity, which seems extremely bizarre to me... If I
take a screen capture of the native rev graphic rectangle and then
paste that bitmap next to the graphic with a pattern, THEN it prints
properly. Remove the bitmap and the printing reverts back to the
weird dark gray thing.

* Soooo, is it that I'm a complete rev newbie and am overlooking
something incredibly obvious?

* Is it something unique on my two Mac systems?

* A bug or limitation which I have not read about?

Now I can probably build a pretty nice app with shades of color/gray,
but at this point it is driving me nuts that I haven't been able to
solve the problem or know why the problem presents itself... I'm
digging :)

TIA, and any insight is appreciated!

-- greg