Documentation & Books

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 17:44:08 EDT 2004

On Jul 2, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

>  I would really like to sit down and read the RR docs in this way but
> they are not IMHO structured to assist this.

Hear, hear.  This is a key issue. Not only are they difficult to read
front to back, but there is no hardcopy index.  I'm only now getting
comfortable with the idea of using the online search in lieu of an
index, but it is still darned inconvenient to have to go to the screen,
search, then try to find the same item in the hardcopy dox.

The other issues is the lack of screenshots and accompanying
explanations of everything one sees on the screen. What we need most at
this point is a book in the Visual QuickStart/Visual QuickPro series
(or something similar) devoted to Rev.

For example, there are items in the standalone builder that are still a
mystery to me and some which I had to figure out by trial and error.
Dan's book helps but it isn't sufficient--and doesn't look like it will
be, even when all 3 volumes are finished.  Using the standalone builder
as an example, Dan takes you through the most important items in it
just fine, but does not help define the more cryptic elements.

Marian