Threads? [was] Re: displaying messages returned from "shell" and Re: Socket Time Out Interval

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 30 16:22:27 EST 2004

On 1/30/04 1:04 PM, "Frank Leahy" <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:

> Between these two email threads lie a common question/issue -- threads.
> Why are there no lightweight threads available in RunRev?  It seems as
> though there's a threading model somewhere underneath. I wonder why it
> hasn't been made explicit, or whether there are any plans to do so.

There are already at least two lightweight threading system present in Rev:
the "send in..." and "wait xx with messages" commands.

These commands allow you have multiple scripts running simultaneously, all
under their own control.  On one project I ran around 40 simultaneous
animation scripts on Mac systems without issue (the Windows version was bit
problematic) but lots of folks on the list are doing this type of thing.

Of course, you'll get some slowdown if you do heavy media actions like
moving image objects, changing blendLevels, loading and unloading media into
players.  But overall, using "send in" and "wait with messages" constructs
allow the equivalent of threaded events.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design