Threads? [was] Re: displaying messages returned from "shell" and Re: Socket Time Out Interval

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Fri Jan 30 16:04:33 EST 2004

On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 08:54  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> The "right" way is with 'open process'.  The last I looked 'open
> process' does not work at all on OS X.  I tried shell() to a named
> pipe, but have had no success, but that is probably my ignorance.  I
> have tried using shell() to spin off a process, but I have not figured
> out how to do that.  (I mention these, because someone might know how
> to get around those.)
>
> I have run processes from an external, but I have always waited for
> them to quit.  I think there is probably a way to do this with an
> external.
>
> Dar Scott

Between these two email threads lie a common question/issue -- threads.
  Why are there no lightweight threads available in RunRev?  It seems as
though there's a threading model somewhere underneath. I wonder why it
hasn't been made explicit, or whether there are any plans to do so.

In this particular case, Dar could fire off a thread that called
shell(), and it could sit there waiting on a return without affecting
the rest of the app.

-- Frank