ANN: Silly Client Demo. (was Re: Opening a Rev app from a browser?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jan 29 23:32:23 EST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 1:47 AM, Doug Lerner wrote:

> Interesting idea - but this won't help either, for several reasons:
>
> (1) The user can actually use this client to connect to any of many
> different servers. So we have no way of guaranteeing that the user is
> logged
> in the particular server with the link ahead of time.

Sorry, I didn't understand this argument. You need not guarantee that
he is logged. CGI check it's IP at runtime. There's no assumption,
ever. Each server will check for client... or a cgi might check for all
server, it's pretty simple.

> (2) We wouldn't want to tie up potentially thousands of sockets by
> having
> everybody online all the time.

No socket is open on server. Client app is actually listening in a very
passive way, only when user click the link, server open socket and send
for it's data, so user is online only when he is trully trying to be
online. That way, sockets are open on client, server plays client
before playing server, it's better seen than explained.

While we were exchanging this emails, I coded an example. It's called
silly client.

It's available at http://public.soapdog.org/  it's a file called
sillyclient.zip

it's a simple client. You can log into
http://home.soapdog.org:8081/sandbox

this will show a link to check if remote user is running the client.
pretty cool, it took me 10 minutes to do, it open no socket on server,
and client got a vey low memory and cpu requirements.

:D

Cheers

--
Andre Alves Garzia - Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL
http://studios.soapdog.org