Opening a Rev app from a browser?

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Thu Jan 29 22:47:31 EST 2004

On 1/30/04 12:37 PM, "Andre Garzia" <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2004, at 1:21 AM, Doug Lerner wrote:
>
>>> But if the scenario you want it to client click a link to an
>>> executable
>>> program, and that program to be downloaded and run on client computer,
>>> then it's very big risk.
>>
>> No -I wouldn't do that. This would be a trusted app that a user has
>> previously, and intentionally, downloaded and set up.
>>

> Still trying... :D
>
> what if you put your app on startup (user should be aware of that),
> your app could be launched on startup and sit invisible on the
> background waiting for the server, that's easy for windows and macos,
> on unixes there are some user priviledges stuff, but putting it on
> .profile might work I think. Your app could launch invisible waiting
> for server, if it does not clog the CPU and use Little memory, it can
> sit idle doing nothing but wait for a connection. Since we're talking
> about trusted apps, your users will not complain about this behaviour,
> they'll understant that's easier than launching client every time. You
> can make a mainStack with two substacks, one is the little invisible
> stack that will do nothing but wait mothership call, the other is the
> app itself that will load only when needed, if you make them as
> "standalone" rev files (.rev) then your app will use even less memory
> for it will only load the Real client when needed. On the startup it
> will just launch a minimalist app that will listem to server calls and
> launch client on request. This will get the behaviour you want, for all
> plataforms and yet is plain easy to do. Couple lines in Rev.

Interesting idea - but this won't help either, for several reasons:

(1) The user can actually use this client to connect to any of many
different servers. So we have no way of guaranteeing that the user is logged
in the particular server with the link ahead of time.

(2) We wouldn't want to tie up potentially thousands of sockets by having
everybody online all the time.

doug