Opening a Rev app from a browser?

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Thu Jan 29 22:21:19 EST 2004

On 1/30/04 12:12 PM, "Andre Garzia" <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2004, at 12:57 AM, Doug Lerner wrote:
>

>> I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't need to run any rev apps
>> server
>> side. In fact, I would prefer not to. :)
>>
>> But I do need to click a link and start a local "client" for
>> interaction
>> with the server.
>>
>> doug
>
> Doug,
>
> remember when AudioGalaxy was online and they used a combination of
> custom client and web pages?

No. Never heard of them.

> I am not here for making notes about
> piracy, copyrights and how you can screw one's life and starve artists,
> and so on, let's talk about their tech, you launched their page, and by
> that page it controlled a program running on client-side.

Right. Sounds good. :)

> I just thought of it now, you can do the same with revHTTPd as long as
> the client-side app is running before the interaction begins, don't
> know what kind of interaction you want, if you want to launch an app,
> that's difficult it's like running any EXE from remote, users hate it
> and it's dangerous. But if you want your server to interact with a
> running app in the client thats easy.

If the client-side app is running beforehand there is no problem already
since all the interaction is in the client. I was hoping to just provide an
alternative way for the user to open the client by clicking on a web link,
and have the client start up, with the user all logged in.

> Set up the client side app to listem in a default port, don't know ie:
> 8084. When user log onto web page, you've got their IP, make your cgi
> try to connect to client-side app on default port and zap, interaction
> is done. That's really easy, I can set a small demo in couple minutes
> if you need an incentive! :D
>
> But if the scenario you want it to client click a link to an executable
> program, and that program to be downloaded and run on client computer,
> then it's very big risk.

No -I wouldn't do that. This would be a trusted app that a user has
previously, and intentionally, downloaded and set up.

>  Almost all browsers will not allow this
> behaviour or shout you not to do it. If you'll offer a download page of
> your client side app, and launch that app then start interaction life
> is easy. Remember satelite of audio galaxy, it was a very smart
> behaviour, their client standed still waiting for server to connect,
> that connection was initiated when user opened their web page, with a
> client running and their IP, everything is possible, you can even put
> login procedures away and acquire all info from client side app.
>
> don't know if I am clear with this text, I am a native portuguese
> speaking person, also don't know what you're trying to do, but this
> "solution" might be used. I can code a little login demo, an simple
> client, when you open server page, the cgi on the page will look for a
> running client on client side and acquire login data. Would this help
> you?

Your English is perfectly fine. I didn't even know I was talking with a
non-native speaker until you mentioned it!

But what I am trying to do seems a bit different. The information you
provided is very useful in general though.

Thanks!

doug