Opening a Rev app from a browser?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jan 29 22:12:34 EST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 12:57 AM, Doug Lerner wrote:

> I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't need to run any rev apps
> server
> side. In fact, I would prefer not to. :)
>
> But I do need to click a link and start a local "client" for
> interaction
> with the server.
>
> doug

Doug,

remember when AudioGalaxy was online and they used a combination of
custom client and web pages? I am not here for making notes about
piracy, copyrights and how you can screw one's life and starve artists,
and so on, let's talk about their tech, you launched their page, and by
that page it controlled a program running on client-side.

I just thought of it now, you can do the same with revHTTPd as long as
the client-side app is running before the interaction begins, don't
know what kind of interaction you want, if you want to launch an app,
that's difficult it's like running any EXE from remote, users hate it
and it's dangerous. But if you want your server to interact with a
running app in the client thats easy.

Set up the client side app to listem in a default port, don't know ie:
8084. When user log onto web page, you've got their IP, make your cgi
try to connect to client-side app on default port and zap, interaction
is done. That's really easy, I can set a small demo in couple minutes
if you need an incentive! :D

But if the scenario you want it to client click a link to an executable
program, and that program to be downloaded and run on client computer,
then it's very big risk. Almost all browsers will not allow this
behaviour or shout you not to do it. If you'll offer a download page of
your client side app, and launch that app then start interaction life
is easy. Remember satelite of audio galaxy, it was a very smart
behaviour, their client standed still waiting for server to connect,
that connection was initiated when user opened their web page, with a
client running and their IP, everything is possible, you can even put
login procedures away and acquire all info from client side app.

don't know if I am clear with this text, I am a native portuguese
speaking person, also don't know what you're trying to do, but this
"solution" might be used. I can code a little login demo, an simple
client, when you open server page, the cgi on the page will look for a
running client on client side and acquire login data. Would this help
you?

Cheers
--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004