server load with Rev "net" apps

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jan 29 18:38:00 EST 2004

Pierre's method works well - I've even used it in a commercial app.
Check the archives for PHP / sockets.

Essentially what you need to do is write a PHP (or Perl would work)
script which talks over sockets to a running MetaCard app. The MetaCard
app takes requests and writes them back to the PHP calling script, and
keeps on running waiting for the next request- a MetaCard application
server if you will.

Since PHP is usually installed as a server module (rather than CGI),
this method will most likely use much less memory. Even generally
speaking, the PHP engine may have less of a footprint than the Metacard
CGI.

- Brian