"runtime" gets a bad rap?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Jan 29 17:11:05 EST 2004

  <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/PleaseLinker.html>
A hilarious look into the world of C# and .NET programming, and
"runtimes" in general.

Summarized in the last sentence: "So Microsoft, wake up, get us some
nice 1950s-era linker technology, and let me make a single EXE that
runs on any computer with Win 98 or later and no other external
dependencies. Otherwise .NET is fatally flawed for consumer, downloaded
software."

And runrev, please don't ever take away our fine
single-file-executable-runtime-engine. It rocks. Nothing else like it.
While we may whine about the size of the engine, it's really a
non-issue, and I for one would still be happy with a many-MB  large
engine, if it was still self-contained.

Maybe runrev rebrand itself to distinguish itself from the big bloated
runtimes like .NET and Java?

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com