A cross-platform answer file?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 27 10:53:24 EST 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd much rather see Tuviah and all other Mac developers spend their time
>>> making cool features that really show off what OS X has to offer rather than
>>> spending time reinventing forgotten wheels.
>>
>> I second this ;-)
>>

> Well, I feel I should oppose. Being able to open selected files by us
> and users of our programs is an important feature. Even under Classic
> OS, the stdfile proc allowed to insert custom filtering since
> standard was often not enough. Yes, Apple could possibly support both
> type and suffix as filter options in system, but Revolution still
> needs to provide a syntax for to pass the specification providing
> functionality requested by Rev users (cf. discussion of bug 605). In
> other words, much of the work has to be done anyway. At this level, I
> don't care whether Rev uses procs supplied by Apple or make their
> own. This is between them an Apple (or Microsoft or else).

I agree with both:  While my dream of Apple taking care of backward
compatibility issues they introduce would be more beneficial for the Mac
community as a whole, it is just that, a dream.

A suboptimal solution that exists is far superior to an optimal ideal that
doesn't.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation