Bug in handling Help menu items?

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Tue Jan 27 05:57:10 EST 2004

On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 10:02  AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:53:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jan Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Bug in handling Help menu items?
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> --- Frank Leahy <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone else had problems getting the menuPick
>> message sent from
>> items in the Help menu in the MacOSX menubar?

[snip]

> Hi Frank,
>
> Did you get this to work properly ? It didn't give me
> any problems when I tried to simulate your problem.
> If not, have you tried to add a breakpoint to see if
> the menuPick is sent and what the content of its
> parameter is ?
>
> Hope this helped,
>
> Jan Schenkel.

Yes Jan I did, thank you.

The problem was that I had the Help menu disabled by mistake in
MenuBuilder, and there's a bug with how RunRev handles disabled menus
that had me scratching my head for awhile.

When a whole menu is disabled (as opposed to the individual items in
the menu) not only are all the items supposed to be greyed out, but the
menu in the menu bar is also supposed to be greyed out.  It wasn't, and
neither were the menu items.

Try disabling the Help menu in Menu Builder.  You'll see that the
"About Your App" is not greyed out in the App menu, nor are any of the
remaining menu items in the Help menu greyed out.  In other words the
Help menus items are still selectable, but no menuPick messages come
through.

This is probably the result of the menu item moving that's being done
on OSX with the Preference and About This App menu items.  But still a
bug :-)

-- Frank