Rev fails to recognize Chinese

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Tue Jan 27 05:36:10 EST 2004

I've been working with Macs for a number of years under systems ranging
from 7.5 to 9.2. Much of my data is in Chinese and I've made extensive
use of HC in the past. Since I just got one PowerBook G4 with Panther
installed, I finally decided to begin migrating to Revolution.

To my utter astonishment, however, I can't get Rev to find Chinese in a
text field if the text has been copied into the field. It will duly
recognize newly typed text but does not react if it has been pasted.
Since this happens in the case of both OS 9 and OS X files and since
AppleWorks 6 does not have the same problem I can not imagine that this
has anything to do with fonts (which are anyway all Apple fonts).

Why does pasted Chinese escape Revolution? I will be enormously grateful
if one of the gurus on the list could enlighten me about the cause for
this behaviour  and graciously point out a solution.

Fritz