Transcript handling of OR and AND expressions

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 26 13:02:57 EST 2004

Mark Wieder wrote:

> Monday, January 26, 2004, 4:16:36 AM, you wrote:
>
> JL> The docs don't say AFAIK, but I always wondered, so just now I tested
> JL> this. It's a good thing to know about sometimes.
>
> Well, it is indeed good to know about, but I'd be *very* wary about
> relying on behavior that isn't documented. You run a good chance of
> your code breaking for no apparent reason in a future rev release.
>
> OTOH, I *like* this behavior a lot, and it would be good to get a
> ruling from runrev on whether this is by design (and therefore
> destined to be in the docs).

According to Dr. Raney himself in a discussion on the MetaCard list some
years ago, this is a feature.  He noted the efficiency it affords, since you
can often do only one evaluation and rule out the need for the others.

FWIW, his documentation doesn't mention it either. :)  Jeanne usually does a
great job of expanding discussion of tokens beyond the old MC docs, but
after 3,000+ pages on everything else it seems this one is merely on par.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation