Revolution and Windows : questions and answers

opus.species at wanadoo.fr opus.species at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 26 02:57:18 EST 2004

QUESTION : HOW TO INSTALL FONTS IN REVOLUTION ?

Few years ago xworld released the EXT.dll from Diskotek.
This DLL has a command "loadfont" to install font in a stack.

Apparently this dll is no more supported by Runrev.
I gave a try and by me it works well with Revolution 212/Windows XP.

Does anybody have a good or a bad experience of this dll with revolution ?
It is reliable ?

QUESTION : HOW TO DISPLAY VIDEO IN REVOLUTION/WINDOWS

I asked this question few weeks ago and received no answer so i had to
study that by myself.

1) Quicktime player : that's the basic solution when Quicktime is
avalaible. But on lot of computers Quicktime is not avalaible and the
end-user is not allowed to install it.

2) According to the rev doc, if Quicktime is not installed, it is possible
to display AVI movies in the player. I tried but never successed. Was
someone happier than me ?

3) MCISendString. Few years ago i shared on the metacard list a MPEG
player for metacard based on MCISendString. This is old technology, but it
still works.
The MCISendString() function is still in Revolution and Microsoft released
in 2003 a new documentation for MCI at the adress MSDN Home > MSDN Library
> Windows Multimedia > MCI.

4) A good (the best ?) solution. Altuit released "altBrowser.dll" what
allows to display a web page in Revolution/Windows. But a web page can
embedd multimedia activeX. I tried to display html pages embedding Flash
movies and it works very well. It means than it is possible to display
digital video (encoded with flash), vector animation, panned sounds, full
styled html text with tables, CSS, javascript...
The big advantage is that Internet Explorer and Flash Player are on all
Windows computer since Win98.

Claude Lemmel