PNG standard paintcompression for the import snapshot command?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 23 12:03:08 EST 2004

On Friday, January 23, 2004, at 09:42 AM, Wouter wrote:

> Can someone confirm (or deny) if the standard paintcompression
> for the import snapshot command in Revolution is PNG?
> In Metacard it is rle.

The first few bytes of PNG contains the letters PNG.

One test is to import and then look at the text of the image.
Unfortunately, often the text returns empty.  Export is more reliable,
but it forces a type and may force a conversion.

None of the types in export is rle.

Maybe this would work...  Import.  Save the stack.  Look for the PNG
signature (about 5 or so bytes) in the file.  The rle should be easy to
calculate and you only need part, but some special variation of rle
might be used.  You might see that pattern in the file.

Since the doc says the compression is rle and this is confirming that,
I don't think this is reverse engineering, but will bow to whatever
RunRev says.

Why do you care?  Speed?  Size?

Dar Scott