Height/width limit on groups?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jan 20 16:25:41 EST 2004

On Jan 20, 2004, at 1:59 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> This photo album product I'm working on is going great -- everything
> I've wanted to do I've been able to do with Revolution.
>
> But I've come up against a problem -- it looks like the max height and
> width of a group is around 32,000.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?  If so, is there a work around?

This is true.  Apparently there can be problems with some graphics
cards if you go above 32,000.  I encountered this in a project where I
create a timeline from a database.  The way I worked around it was to
create groups that were no larger than say 5,000 pixels.  These groups
were  stored inside of another group.

Main Group
     - Subgroup A (5,000 pixels)
     - Subgroup B (5,000 pixels)
     - Subgroup C (5,000 pixels)
     - etc.

I stored the combined width of all subgroups which might be like 50,000
pixels.  In my custom scroll bar I would determine where in that 50,000
pixel wide timeline the user currently was and then display the
appropriate subgroup(s).  As soon as a subgroup moved out of the
viewable area of the main Group then I would tuck it away off screen
until it was needed again.  This way you are never setting the loc of
any object outside of the -32,000/32,000 limit.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com