RevConference - Client Server vs Stateless

Jerry Daniels mato.kola at wanblizaptan.com
Thu Jan 15 15:25:46 EST 2004

Doug,

Sorry, for the late response on this, but, here it is...

When you say "server" to what are you referring? Web server?
Application Server? Database server?

I agree that scaled servers represent a huge performance advantage and
WEB/APP servers are the cheapest and simplest tier to scale. I have
built systems with over 25,000 users (with peaks of 4-5,000 concurrent
users) and only had ONE database server (with mirroring, etc.). That
system DID have 13 web/app servers, though. Relatively inexpensive
boxes, I might add.

In most N-Tier systems I've used, the web servers are the only database
users and the ones requiring authentication. The clients are not
database users, but users of web services. This also seems that way
most enterprise information systems are going these days. I feel like
I've found a profitable way to fit the building of Rev thin clients
into that mix. I just don't see that many new client-server projects
being started in IT departments around here.

Another question: why would a server "push" to the client? Don't
servers usually reply to a request from a client? Maybe I'm missing
something here.

Best,

Jerry