Best place for common script

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 13 17:06:40 EST 2004

Jim Hurley wrote:

>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> <http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html>
>>
>> For those of you who attended the plugins session at the Rev seminar this
>> will serve as refresher notes for some of my introductory material
> I am probably the only one who is still confused on this matter of Libraries.

You haven't seen my In Box.  Hence, this morning's revisions. :)

> I have some stacks which I like to have handy for reference use. I
> currently store them in the plugin folder. Sometimes they are used to
> provide back scripts and sometimes I call them up for use as the main
> stack. (For this reason, I convert them to Toplevel stacks. In one
> case I include:
>
> set the style of this stack to "toplevel"
>
> in a preopenstack script. There is no option to open plugins at the toplevel.)
>
> Now I presume that plugins used in this way are "Library Stracks?"
> (That's a question.)
>
> Might I also interpret the sequence under the "Development" menu in
> RR as follows:
>
> Object Library
> Image Library
> Stack Library (aka Plugins?)

The term "Library" as used in the IDE and as used in the engine refer to
different things.

Taking a cue from the "libraryStack" message, when discussing Transcript
"library" refers to the engine's ability to extend the message path with
"start using".  Transcript handler collections like libURL, libIPC, and
libSMTP use the term "library" in this context.

In the IDE, "Library" refers to collections of prefabricated ready-to-use
objects.  The Library tools in the Rev IDE are not inserted into the message
path.

Is this dual-use of the term confusing?  Perhaps, but there's too much
history behind the "libraryStack" message to consider changing that, and I'm
hard-pressed to think of a better term for the IDE's collections of prefab
components.  Suggestions?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation