[OT] new Mac software: GarageBand and iLife'04

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Jan 8 04:37:47 EST 2004

On Jan 8, 2004, at 12:35 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> As an entry-level toy it looks like fun and I'm looking forward to
> spending some more time playing with it, but I don't see it giving any
> of the existing programs a run for their money.

Thanks for the early review! To me and many others, it won't really be
a toy.

I gather it's NOT intended to give existing programs a run for the
money. In a way, Apple is busting open a whole new niche: dissatisfied
amateur musicians, and pro musicians that want to jam and make demos.

In addition to opening that niche, Apple is continuing to position the
iLife suite as entry points into their more pro lineup. On a
macrumors.com thread I spotted this little upgrade map that pretty much
explains the apple strategy for their digital media products:

	ipod mini < ipod
	imovie < final cut express < final cut pro
	idvd < dvd studio
	garageband < logic express < logic

So the iLife suite is just an entry point. But the apps are innovative
and easy to use, so they sell Macs AND are stepping stones to the more
expensive Pro apps.

re: plugins, VST, etc. I know nothing about 'em, but the website says
"GarageBand’s Audio Unit support allows you to add hundreds of effects
and recording tools." Maybe the apple rep wasn't up to speed yet? Or
maybe that's just one type of many existing audio plugin formats?

re: signal processing built-ins. The 16 effects built-in look pretty
good to me!

re: single chord- Hmm... maybe that's why John Mayer (the rock
guitarist who did the keynote demo) quipped "all in the key of C, I
might add" or something like that. But that was when he was on keyboard
not guitar. Hmmm.

There is an endless macrumors.com thread. It's long, but there are some
really good perspectives on just what GarageBand is, does, does not do.
Like people complaining about no midi-out. And others going- thank god
that it does not have midi-out, it would ruin the elegant interface of
the app.

Also check out:

Logic Express aka Logic Audio?
<http://uk.dk.com/static/cs/uk/11/features/hitkit/index.html>