Determining which menu button was clicked on Mac

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jan 8 02:34:52 EST 2004

Perhaps, but I think Trevor's question was how to avoid checking
whether anything is playing regardless of which menu was clicked.

I believe the answer is that you can't.

At least on MacOS, IIRC, the underlying routines can tell you when the
menubar is clicked, but there is no such thing as a menu clicked event
for a single menu. Thus you need to adjust your menus either a) before
the user clicks on the menubar or b) adjust ALL of your menus every
time the user clicks on the menubar.

If you want individual events for clicking on a single menu, I think
you'll have to roll your own menu objects in-window, which means they
won't work as real system menus...

HTH

Brian