XP GIF display oddities

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 07:37:57 EST 2004

Hello folks,

OK, I am unsure whether it is only me with any interest in this thread, but
it may be that what I have established helps others, and someone who knows XP
might help me to take the next step.

The story so far is that a customer with XP complained that a list of
authorised users did not appear in his copy.  (which disabled the buttons navigating
to screens) It seems that unlike all other versions of Windows, XP cannot
access the encrypted list of users in a preopenstack handler.  I had to change it
so that the application has actually launched and THEN looks up the names of
users.

He then complained that images looked odd.  All Gifs.  Some were home spun,
but standard icons and the pointy hand cursor also displayed wrongly.  As usual
I got good advice from this list, but   nothing really hit the target.

I have just discovered that when faced with the original problem, this
customer tried using the Windows XP Compatibility Wizard.  On the face of it, a
reasonable thing to try.  However, it was only *after* using this that the display
problems emerged.    I have a feeling this particular wizard is more of a
Saruman than a Gandalf.

I am pretty sure I have fixed the original problem.  The question is what
advice do I give the customer?  It seems that the dreaded wizard remembers the
exe and creates what it feels is the 'correct' environment automatically
whenever it is launched.  Is this right?  What exactly does it fiddle with?  How can
it be persuaded  to not intervene any more?  (please, no quests to the Cracks
of Doom).

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Forensic Psychology Software and Services <A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/i-psych/i_Psych.htm">i-Psych</A>