OT Re: Interfaces: PC and MAC ------OT

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jan 6 16:10:31 EST 2004

BetaMax was cross platform..Sony wasn't the only one to make betaMax
players.

but in fact, the biggest problem IMO with i-Tunes is that it's really *NOT*
cross-platform. Consider cross platform to not be the Mac/PC thing, but
rather the portable units which can play the i-Tunes native format. IOW,
i-Tunes only plays on a proprietary portable device, namely the i-Pod.

In the case of Napster, MusicMatch and a bunch of others, they all play (or
plan on playing) on different portable players from different manufacturers.
This offers users a multitude of choices for hardware...and drives prices
down and features up. In fact, they can 'mix and match' different vendors
'purchases' on the same hardware. Just look at price/performance of Macs vs
PCs. There are a much broader selection, top to bottom, in the PC market
than in the Mac market - with prices (in general) being less expensive. (I'm
typing this on a 2.4 GHZ E-Machines Desktop PC with DVD and CD-RW which I
purchased from TigerDirect for $349.)

Of course, I know you can rip directly to MP3 from i-Tunes (and Napster and
others as well), then move to a portable hardware device. Some will do this,
but it is an unecessary step and as i-Pod users have found out already, it's
much easier going straight to the portable device than to Rip to CD -->
Download from CD --> Transfer to i-Pod

best,

Chipp