revGoURL on 10.2.3

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Jan 5 19:30:32 EST 2004

On 1/5/04 2:19 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>>> I have not yet
>>> come up with a robust solution for launching a local file in the user's
>>> default browser in Panther. :(
>>
>> I know that GURL is broken in Panther, but does the following fail as well?
>>
>> on mouseUp
>> answer file "Locate HTML:"
>> if it is empty then exit mouseUp
>> put it into tPath
>> put \
>> "tell application" && quote & "Finder" & quote & cr &\
>> "open location" && quote & "file://" & tPath & quote & cr &\
>> "end tell" into S
>> do S as AppleScript
>> end mouseUp
>
> Yes, but not in the default browser if the local file has a creator code for
> another app assigned to it.
>
> Curiously, this:
>
> on mouseUp
> answer file "Locate HTML:"
> if it is empty then exit mouseUp
> put it into tPath
> revGoUrl tPath
> put the result
> end mouseUp
>
> ...neither launches the local file nor displays a result.

By any chance did you try the following syntax?

 on mouseUp
  answer file "Locate HTML:"
  if it is empty then exit mouseUp
  put it into tPath
  revGoUrl ("file:" & tPath)
  put the result
 end mouseUp

I'm asking because your code as written above failed for me on Jaguar, but
the addition of the word "file:" launched the browser/page.  Maybe not a
solution to your problem, but at least it launches something...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design