Another newbie Mac Question...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 5 16:26:01 EST 2004

Chipp Walters wrote:

> In the docs, it says with filter works. Is this a mistake?

Where?  The entry for "answer file" discusses using the 'type" form for Mac
OS.

> Also,
> Where does one go to 'find' all the different creator types?

Used to be ResEdit.  For OS X I made a droppable control in a Rev window
with this script:

on dragEnter
  set the acceptDrop to true
end dragEnter

on dragDrop
  get line 1 the dragData
  if it is not empty then
    put it into fld "file"
    put it into tDir
    set the itemdel to "/"
    put last item of it into tFileName
    delete last item of tDir
    put the directory into tSaveDir
    set the directory to tDir
    put the detailed files into tFiles
    set the directory to tSaveDir
    put line lineoffset(urlEncode(tFileName), tFiles) \
        of tFiles into tFileData
    set the itemdel to comma
    get last item of tFileData
    put char 1 to 4 of it into fld "creator"
    put char 5 to 8 of it into fld "type"
  end if
end dragDrop

With OS X Apple no longer requires file type assignments, posing a problem
for us.  I'm not sure Apple has yet decided what to do about either file
types or creator codes for the long term, so I'm not familiar with a
workaround for selecting files that rely only on file name extension on OS
X.

Anyone come across a current Apple tech note on this?  Last I heard Apple
required developers to write a custom filterProc for Nav Services (ugh!).

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation