Photo Catalog-Re Ordering Photos with captions

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Jan 3 13:00:48 EST 2004

Well thank to the good soul who recently posted the link to
"Usage-centered Design" I decided to "back away" from this a bit and
abstract as many use tasks as I could for the whole job top to bottom.
Now it is looking like a card based system will be best for over all
needs. At least initially, it will be easy enough to allow the user to
shuffle a card forth and back "set the number of this card to the
number of this card +1"

Then I think a preview widget with thumbnails that can be dragged and
dropped which then invokes a handler to adjust the card numbers of the
main entry stack... with HTML preview live and updated in a browser
while you work...  that's were I am today at least.

Thinking outloud here: Card based as lots of advantages in this
scenario for incorporating all the other "use-tasks" that are involved
at caption time where focus is on a single caption: html mark up of the
text, creating anchors, adding banners above and below etc. all tools
that are now on floating pallettes in Supercard can move to a
background group available on every card. Allows for incorporation of
another scenario where incoming photos arrive by FTP from a distributed
stack with the filename of the photo matching the file name of a small
text file that hold the caption. Uploading a folder of such input into
the card based stack will be a snap....
\
mmm. just go to get a previewer.... field with chars set to imagedata?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org