Read only

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Feb 27 18:33:06 EST 2004

>So I have developed a Rev application and I burnt it onto a CD. When
>I go to another machine and copy it from the CD to the computer, the
>file that is now on the computer is "read only".

Hi Greg,

Since you write "file", not "files", I assume the file is a
standalone Revolution application created by the Distribution
Builder.  That standalone will always be read only: neither Windows
nor Unix allow applications to modify themselves, so Revolution
standalones are not modifiable.

If your application makes changes that must persist beyond runtime,
those changes must be stored in a text file, external database, or
external stack.  The general approach is to create a "splash screen"
standalone that opens the "real" stack, which is seen as an external
file to the user.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company