Serious applications

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Wed Feb 25 15:36:22 EST 2004

>  From Perl to Java to JavaScript to C to C++ to Objective C, this is
> always the challenge.  Let folks use what they prefer.

(snip)

> Folks who enjoy a certain comfort with their current language will
> remain with what they know.  Sometimes that's a productive decision,
> sometimes not.  After all, if it works don't fix it, and if they don't
> work with Rev they'll never see it as a productivity loss.*

Well, I remember a project from last year in which the client asked
us to issue PDF documents on the fly from a template in a web app.
2 guys helping me on this time critical project were used to PHP, but
after 2 days of coding & testing they only managed to complete a solution
that fulfilled only 50% of the needs.
Finally I stayed late at work one evening, and in 3 or 4 hrs I completed
a script in MC cgi that did the task.

After that, they suddenly began to feel slightly less comfortable with PHP...

JB