Immediate/Compile Time Execution for

Kevin nnoydb at excite.com
Sat Feb 21 14:52:23 EST 2004

TIL (Threaded Interpretive Languages) is a acronym that refers the languages like Forth, Visual Basic and even SmalTalk/Java variations.   Maybe this is a question I should post to the Runtime Revolution support staff.  I was under the impression from the postings I have read that many of the MetaCard gurus frequent this mailing list and could point me to some documents about the general design of the engine.   I seems odd to me that the engine could be built and extended without these constructs for example a "if" construct.  In Forth and SmallTalk a "if" statement is "immediate" it encodes a comparison and a 2 wsize (aka word size)  cells for the true jump branch and one for the false branch.  Since it is not viable at runtime there must be a "compile time" subsystem.  Thanks for the suggestions though I think I will be asking the support at RunRev.

Kevin