Multilingual apps (was: Re: Beginners global variable pb)

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 20 17:56:29 EST 2004

In my earlier mail on this I wrote:

>My own preferred option is to go for a simplified manual approach where
>every string that needs to be changed according to language is set in one
>particular handler ('setUpParameters'), and I simply read the Welsh (or
>whatever) text file into a text editor and paste each line directly into
>the Transcript code, all in one concentrated place in the app. This is
>crude but in fact works rather well.

Of course this describes a method of changing the (human) language during
development, not at runtime. I should have said that this can be adapted to
a runtime method by the use of a text file and a slightly more disciplined
setUpParameters script which can be edited on the fly. It still seems to me
to be less labour-intensive in the long run than the Custom Props method.

Graham