revcopyfile: preserve file modification date/time

James.Cass at sealedair.com James.Cass at sealedair.com
Fri Feb 20 17:19:52 EST 2004

What is the best way to preserve file modification date/time  when copied
to a Windows 2000 server?

I need to preserve the modification date when a file is copied from a
user's local MacOSX (10.2.x) to a Windows 2000 server.  By default,
"revcopyfile" does not preserve the mod date.  The copy of the file has a
mod date/time of when it was copied.

I found a work-around by using "CpMac -p", and it worked great for a
while, preserving the mod date/time, but then for some reason, it started
making the copied file's mod date/time be when it was copied.  And then it
started working fine again, and now it's back to misbehaving.  So I tried
using "ditto -rsrcFork" ("ditto --rsrc" in Panther), which works great in
Panther, but in Jaguar I get a "file name too long" on files whose name is
longer than 8 characters (violating 8.3).

Thanks in advance,
James