[OT] Cross Mac Platform Text Editing

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Feb 20 09:48:05 EST 2004

>How are you moving the files?

Hi Paul,

The latest action that triggered my post dealt with text files loaded
from a CD burned on OS 10.2  onto an OS 9 platform.

I believe I have previously dragged the same (Serendipity Library
language translation) files across an Ethernet LAN with the same
result; but I'll try it again...

Just did: nova (as in "no go")--Dragged the file across the LAN, and
it looks just the same as the one loaded from CD.  File Type/Creator
appear to be empty; but if I type four characters into each field
without selecting & deleting File Type, ResEdit tells me there are
invisible characters in the field.  Now in this case, I saved the
file three times: once a rich text with no extension, once with text
only & a ".txt" extension, and once with text-only and no extension.
And the later files did show Type/Creator as "TEXTttxt."

But this disturbs me more: files saved with no extension on OS X show
up in OS 9 with ".rtf" or ".txt" extensions depending on how the file
was saved.  Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE O/S's doing things
like this (and the OS X app bundle) "behind my back"?  What's more,
if I go to the OS 9 machine, strip the extension from the file, and
attempt to drag it back to the OS X box, the OS 9 directory shows the
file as a 4K SimpleText file; but the directory listing on OS X shows
the file as 0 KB, with no Kind or Date Modified info.

What the hey is Apple doing here?
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company