Exocet dreams; not the missile but...

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Fri Feb 13 01:22:04 EST 2004

on 2/12/04 7:34 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com at
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:25:32 -0700
> From: Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com>
> Subject: Re: Exocet dreams; not the missile but...
>

> On Feb 12, 2004, at 4:08 PM, Ken Norris wrote:
>> Personally, someday I want to build a complete set of exocet
>> programming
>> tools with a comprehensive bot which can be used by the disabled to
>> create
>> personalized software tools to meet their own needs for creating yet
>> more
>> tools.
>
> What is exocet?
-----------
Probably from the Latin exocetus, a flying fish, Exocets are primarily known
as French-built anti-ship missiles which are usually fitted with fairly
sophisticated intelligent internal guidance systems. If you preprogram or
radio control them into a general zone, they can then locate, track,
acquire, and strike a particular ship, all on their own. The word has since
become a kind of synonym for a similar form of AI.

Some types of search bots on the internet, and, I suppose, in sophisticated
complex DBs, use algorithms that similarly "home in" on specified targets,
and are occasionally referred to as exocets.

It's in the latter context that I used the word.
-----------
> If you never have done so, play with some Lego Mindstorms. You'll
> probably get some ideas.
-----------
Yes, but more in line with using current developer tools like Rev to design
and assemble other tools which can exploit individual abilities, i.e., the
things a person with disabilities _can_ do, such that the system 'learns'
about its user and continuously homes in on better, more successful means
for communication and control.

More in line with developing tools for the disabled to use the internet,
telephony, X-Ten devices, etc., to create for themselves opportunities for
independence and contribution that haven't existed before.

Why? Because they will have the means to design and develop tools and
solutions unique to their individual needs, skills, and desires.
-----------
> There is a Lego robotics lab at the new Explora in Albuquerque, NM. My
> 4 year old son learned to program a bot in < 45 minutes! It's all
> procedural, iconic and point-n-click!
-----------
Cool...

That's the idea, and I certainly agree robotics is right in line with what
I'm thinking, but the main idea is that a person with severe deficits will
be able to develop tools to help themselves to do whatever they want to do.

I believe that somewhere inside a twisted lump of seemingly helpless flesh
may be, probably _is_, a mind and a spirit with capabilities beyond what
even that person can know. Maybe they are geared to computers or robotics,
but they may as well be into fine arts, music, aeronautical engineering,
writing...who knows? Maybe there is in such a person the makings of another
Einstein, or a Martin Luther King.

How will they, or we, ever know, if they remain stuck, broken, totalliy
institutionalized all their lives?

I just want to develop basic stuff that has some capability to follow its
user, constantly testing and paying attention to what appears to be working,
put a few things together in that direction to help. If it works, if it hits
the mark, the user now has another tool to help create the next better
thing...until they have what they need to learn and write a concerto,
discover the Unified theory, or write the doc that finally brings peace to
the Sudan.

Like that...a dream...

Ken N.