RR as a browser plugin?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Feb 12 02:14:00 EST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Browser plugins offer no substanial benefit not already addressed by
> using a
> standalone as a helper application.

I too am a fan of "web enabled standalone apps" as an alternative to
plugins. And I have read and appreciated your article about it. But you
are making quite a blanket statement there. Why be so quick to dismiss
the browser plugin which could be a good thing for some Runrev
developers, even if you aren't interested yourself?

A wide variety of browser plugins do exist and are beneficial for many
organizations and businesses. Do a search for +GIS +"browser plugin".
All kinds of plugins come up, most of which is foreign to me: SVG, WML,
ExpressView, AlternaTIFF, GeoTIFF, DXF, MrSID, ACGM, Geo-DB, WxScope
and on and on. You know there are organizations that need and pay for
those browser plugins. Probably a lot of them could have been written
with Runrev. Maybe the companies considered standalone apps, and
decided in favor of browser plugins. There are all kinds of possible
scenarios.

re: installed-base and walking over to the secretary's computer and
your scenarios you were talking about: in larger companies with
carefully tied down desktop and laptop configs, getting a browser
plugin pre-installed is not a problem. Large IT departments ghost their
disk images and roll-em out like a factory!

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com