mysqldump --xml & Rev Unicode [was: XML tree-view as a database frontend in Rev?]

Toma Tasovac ttasovac at princeton.edu
Thu Feb 12 06:53:33 EST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Alex Rice wrote:
> Anyways that's not exactly what you were asking.

I don't think I asked the right thing either... :)

There's an easy way to get the database content as an xml tree -- using
mysqldump.  But here I'm encountering a Unicode difficulty again...

I use the shell of "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump -u root --xml
xmlprep" to retrieve the xmldump of my database.  The database and the
mysqldump are utf8, my stack's main font is set to Lucida Grande,
Unicode, yet I see no way of displaying the dump properly, let alone
parsing it etc...

put the shell of "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump -u root --xml xmlprep
entry" into xmldata
put xmldata into fld "showXMLTree"
-- displays CJK mumbojumbo (naturally, since the stacks text font is
Unicode)

put the shell of "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump -u root --xml xmlprep
entry" into xmldata
put uniencode(xmldata, "utf8") into fld "showXMLTree"
-- displays all the xml tags correctly, but the database content is
still mumbojumbo (not CJK though)

How should one deal with this?

All best,
Toma