Tutorials or instructions on delivering MacOSX apps...

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Feb 9 17:24:27 EST 2004

On 6 Feb 2004, at 8:34 pm, Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> Who said Macs were easier? Not when it comes to compiling and
>> delivering
>> apps! (<--WARNING: OBVIOUS TROLL)
>>

> This has always been true. From day one. Macs have been easier for end
> users but supporting that properly has always required more work by
> programmers (even with such great tools like THINK products were).

I think this is a very good point which is often over-looked. After our
efforts, the customers get a single file, which automatically unpacks
on download and gives them a disk image already open on the desktop.
All they have to do is drag what appears to be a single file to their
hard disk (although many apps will run fine from the disk image) and
double-click. That's it - the complete installation process.
Uninstalling is just as easy - trash that single file and it's gone. We
know what lies under the surface, but why should our users have to
bother about that.

Given that, I still have one problem with an OS X distribution which
hopefully some guru on the list will be able to answer :-) (Alex - are
you listening?)

I have an application and it is all bundled into a neat package, which
I have set up in a folder with a background picture so that it shows
the logo and the install instructions ("Drag this to your applications
folder.") This works fine on my own computer and even when I create a
disk image, compress it and then extract it again, I still get the
picture showing. However when I send the compressed disk image to
another computer, the picture doesn't show, even though the picture is
hidden on the disk image.

I can only think of 2 possibilities and have no idea how to get around
either of them:
1. The path is absolute, so it's looking for the image in "Sarah's HD"
rather than in it's own folder.
2. This is dictated by a preference that is stored on my computer, not
on the disk image.

I know this can be done as I have downloaded disk images with a
background picture, so does anyone know how?

TIA,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/