Bug Database Changes Completed - PLEASE READ!

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Feb 9 01:37:00 EST 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Mark Chia wrote:

> The changes to the Bugzilla have been completed and tested. It is
> important for everyone to read what has changed and to get an
> understanding of how this impacts on the management of bugs. Therefore,
> please read this message in its entirety.

Great! Couple of workflow questions:

> Here's the workflow for the new system:
>        2c-ii) If it cannot be reproduced, a comment is added to the
>                bug to ask the original submitter if they can come
>                up with another recipe (since we couldn't reproduce
>                it) and the status remains PENDING. If we ever *can*
>                reproduce it, we act as (2c-i) above. If we can
>                *never* reproduce it, we change the status to
>                RESOLVED and the resolution to CANT_REPRODUCE. The
>                Target Milestone is then set to the targetted
>                release version.

What time period elapses before it's decided to change to
CANT_REPRODUCE. What should happen if it's changed to CANT_REPRODUCE
while the user is still trying to come up with a recipe that works for
the engineers? A too quick CANT_REPRODUCE could really push someone
over the brink if they are going insane over a bug.

> 3) Bugs marked NEW are reviewed by the person to whom they were
>    assigned. If the assignee feels that they are the right person to
>    fix the bug, they change the status of the bug to ASSIGNED. If
>    the assignee feels they are *not* the right person to fix the
>    bug, the status is left as NEW, but the bug is reassigned to
>    someone else, and the new assignee does the same review.

So when a bug is NEW, then it is actually "tentatively assigned", and
an engineer is looking at it? When it's accepted by the engineer then
it's declared ASSIGNED?

> 5) When a new interim build is released to the RunRev development
>    team, the QA person will check the RESOLVED bugs against the new
>    build. If a bug is actually fixed, the status is set to CLOSED.

Sounds solid.

> Ken Ray is new Bugzilla Maintainer

OK Ken!

--