Compression and Decompression of multiple files

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Feb 7 12:58:02 EST 2004

Rob Cozens wrote:

> Richard Gaskin, Sarah Richert, yours truly, and others have gotten as
> far as you; but no one I know of has taken the next step: combining
> individual file compression logic with the recursive logic of the
> Transcript Directory Walker.

I didn't realize this was seen as a challenge.  It's not too hard:

- Use a stackfile for storage
- store compressed file data in one property set
- store file metadata in another property set
- recombine as needed on the backside

I made a tool for this some time ago but never finished it because it seemed
less useful than tar archives, which are very common but much harder to
make.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation