Andy's comments and positioning...

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Feb 7 12:21:01 EST 2004

OK, now I'm going to step in and tick off some folks and probably
generate yet another round of discussion here.

WARNING: Long and opinionated.

Full Disclosure: Even though I use Rev "professionally" I do not
consider myself primarily a professional programmer. I'm a tinkerer
first. It's nice I get paid to do this stuff but I'd do it even if I
didn't get paid (though I'd work on different projects!). I'm focused
on my long-time role as the champion of the Inventive User. I invented
the term if not the concept. I could give a good rodent's behind about
professional developers as a market because of two perceptions gained
from three decades living in their world: (1) They resist, as a group,
changing languages and tools once they've learned one and invested gobs
of time in building up libraries, learning where the bodybugs are
buried, and developed a rep; (2) It's difficult or impossible to form
real support communities around them because of the need for them to
treat lots of stuff as proprietary and their need to stay focused on
their tasks as opposed to helping some other poor soul.

I allow the possibility -- even the probability -- that I'm wrong in my
perceptions. But at least you know where I'm coming from.

<rant>

Back in the days I was touting Smalltalk as the Language of the Gods,
you couldn't get a serious developer to look at it. A tiny, tiny
minority did. Of those who did, almost all of them would eventually
agree it was superior to their current toolset. And they'd still refuse
to change. "I'm six months behind on my C++ project," they'd say. "I'd
love to be able to take the time now to switch and master Smalltalk but
I can't afford the cut in pay."

So to me, you build interest and market momentum for a new programming
tool by tapping into two markets: education and hobbyists. Both have
the potential to become professionals. And both are larger than the
total market of professional programmers *who are willing to consider a
new tool*. That audience, as many companies have found out the hard
way, is much smaller than it appears.

Oh, this is gonna get long. Sorry. But I hope you find it interesting
if not worthwhile. A couple of decades ago, I was a marketing
communications guru at Intel. My boss came to me. "Motorola keeps
beating us at design-in decisions with clearly inferior technology.
Find out why and tell me how we fix it." Didn't take me long. Motorola
was providing free SDK's (System Design Kits) to any college
engineering professor who wanted them for his students, and providing
them for free. When those engineers graduated, they'd get to their
first job. Their boss would say, "Here's your first project. It's eight
months behind schedule. What tools do you want?" The newly minted
engineer would open his or her briefcase, point to the Motorola SDK and
say, "I already know how to use this." The boss would ask, "Will it do
what we need to do here?" The new engineer would say "Yes." "Then order
it," the boss would say.

Intel started a competing SDK program for colleges and universities. I
helped build that program. In three years, Intel was out-performing
Motorola in those situations again.

So the education market is crucial, but it takes years to show an
impact in the market. Only a company with huge resources can afford to
give *hardware* away to that group. But a software company? If you
don't offer support and you deliver the product electronically, your
costs to seed the education market -- other than marketing -- are
vanishingly small.

That said, I also tired quickly as I did that study for Intel of
educational institutions and educators who (not universally but often
enough to come to my attention): (a) demanded free or low-cost stuff
even though they recommend textbooks that cost hundreds of dollars,
some of which the recommending profs wrote; (b) garnered substantial
government grants whose proceeds could have been put to use in buying
stuff for students rather than paying assistants and buying travel &
entertainment to attend conferences; (c) demanded extensive tech
support; (d) in general, acted as if the world owed them a living. I
saw a lot of that. A lot.

So I say to educators: if Rev is a great tool for teaching your class,
how about getting some budget for it so the company can still be in
business when your students graduate and look for jobs? And I say to
Rev, if you find educational markets where penetration has serious
long-term potential value, discount the heck out of the product or
offer it free. But don't let those activities divert any substantial
resources from continuing to develop the tool us
hobbyists-cum-professionals need and are willing to pay for.

</rant>