Revolution Linux Users

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Feb 7 00:34:45 EST 2004

Hi Bernard,

Great post! I (and I know quite a few other power RR users) are EXTREMELY
excited about the future prospects for RR and Linux. In fact, I can't think
of a better marketing opportunity for RR than as an answer to the very
expensive QT cross-platform C environment targeted at Linux developers.
Here's IMO why: (you probably know all this)

1) While there are a lot of programs for Linux, there certainly aren't the
breadth and depth of those found on PC. Especially considering GUI apps.
This is a perfect opportunity for developers. IOW, creating an app for Linux
won't have the competition it would have on Mac or PC.

2) IBM and others are putting in place the elements necessary (both in
technology and perception) for real contemplation of *switching* for
corporate America. In fact, I believe IBM has already stated it's goal of
converting their company to desktop Linux. Others in corporate America won't
be far behind. Both eWeek and InfoWorld this week had issues devoted to the
latest 2.6 kernel, and both are extremely favorable reviews....in fact
recommending it over MS for servers.

3) RR has it's roots (as you've stated) in Linux, and both Scott and Tuviah
have a great understanding of what *else* is needed in the engine.

Those of you who haven't yet seen my Lindows offer...please check out:
"A case for Lindows"
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit/Lindows/AnbspCasenbspfornbspLindows.htm

But, as you've noted, there are some IDE bugs which need fixing. I've seen
them, too, though I'm not a big Linux user yet:-( no time right now + I need
Photoshop on Linux-- GIMP won't do)

I would be interested in hearing your comparison of (the now OpenSourced) MC
IDE vs RR. Plus, please do post to bugzilla. I believe there is a new
bugzilla DB being created which should work even better than before.

best,

Chipp