Port Question

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Feb 6 17:16:39 EST 2004

On 2/6/04 2:05 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>> All the routers I've owned allow you to assign one system on the
>> network a
>> DMZ (demilitarized zone) address which I believe allows pretty much any
>> traffic in and out.  Maybe this is what has to be set up by the game
>> players.
>
> I had suggested the idea of a server or servers.  If you want to
> preserve the notion of peer-to-peer, maybe the server is for
> facilitating communications only.  And for setting up games among those
> looking for players.  Once a game is created then the game server might
> then only facilitate game memo distribution and throttling
> denial-of-service.

What's to prevent one of the Rev apps acting as a server?  What would the
"server app" need to do to appear on the net as a server?

> The method least likely to cause trouble with firewalls might be to
> make bonafide http connections from inside to outside.

So could the Rev apps be set up to use the post command to post data to each
other?  Or does the data need to be "written down" somewhere first before
being accessible by clients on the net?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director