Where goes stacks, included stacks and externals? (was Dialogsinlibrary organization)

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Feb 5 18:22:16 EST 2004

> Now maybe someone will ask "Why don't you just do it the usual way?" to
> which I respond that I know of no usual way and I make up my own.

Do you know about the stackFiles property?

> So a path is created to find stacks.  It is based on these:
> IDE or application?
> Platform?  (This might be under "if app")
> If app
>    Am I app main stack?
>    Is desired stack shallow or deep?
>
> Here is an arbitrary layout:
>
> Development:
>
> stacks
>     stackFamily
>         stack
>         stack
>     stackFamily
>         stack
>         stack
>
> In this setup the relative path form one stack to another is
> ../stackFamily/stack.

Yep. Seems good...

> OS X Application:
>
> appfolder
>     shallowStack
>     myapp.app
>        Contents
>            MacOs
>               myapp
>            Resources
>               Stacks (?)
>                  stackFamily
>                     stack
>                     stack
>
> So the relative path from the app stack to a shallow stack is
> ../../../shalowPath
> The relative path from the app stack to a deep stack is
> ../Resources/Stacks/stackFamily/stack
> The relative path from a deep stack to a deep stack is
> ../stackFamily/stack
> The relative path form a deep stack to a shallow stack is ... (and so
> on).

This is where I think your making things complicated for yourself. Why not
put all your stacks in the MacOS folder?

> On Windows:
>
> appfolder
>     shallowStack
>     myapp.exe
>     Components
>       stacks
>          stackFamily
>              stack
>              stack
>
> In the same way there is a path from any stack to another stack.
>
> In this scheme, the relative path from any stack not the app stack to
> any stack not shallow is always ../stackFamily/stack, so that is a
> reasonable default for libraries.

Hmmm... I see now that it's the current DB that is confusing you. And
rightly so. Adding differences between your development folder and your app
folder is a big no no in my book. The Components folder is the breaker here.

My suggestion would be not to use a data folder for the time being. It won't
be long and you'll have a new DB which will transfer your relative paths
properly.

Cheers

Monte