Dialogs in library organization

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 17:57:47 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> I expect others to do that with Serendipity Library also; so if your
> pondering raises or settles issues, I'd like to know.

Here is the issue.

It seems that _in general_ the Distribution Builder cannot create a
single monolithic application.  It can take only one stack file and
create an application.  However, it can move over the other stack files
and set some properties appropriately.  Fortunately, on OS X, the
stacks are put down inside the application bundle, so the result looks
effectively monolithic.  (I don't understand the rationale for the
particular folder, but that is a separate issue.)  However, on Windows,
all stack files other than that of the primary stack file are outside
the application.

Now, it could be I'm using the DB wrong.

So how does one make a monolithic application on Windows?  The best I
can tell, in the direct way one has to move all the stacks and their
substacks over to be substacks of the application stack.  Now, my
message path has changed.  Typically this does not make a difference as
name conflicts are unlikely, but I might make mistakes (theoretically).

(I was a little confused about this, since the DB, that is, the
Distribution Builder, seems to use the word "stack" for "stack file" in
some places.  In another place it listed the stacks and it included the
main stacks of listed stack files and the substacks of the main stack
file, but not the substacks of the stack files not main.)

Now that I think about it, my message path is changed anyway.  I
remember something about the main stack of the executable main stack
file being inserted into the message path after the main stack for a
stack.  Maybe in IDE testing this can be emulated by putting it at the
front of the libraries or something.

(BTW, I noticed that when building an OS X standalone the DB used the
OS X I was running as a model instead of one in the engines folder.
This carries over all the tweaking I've done to the original, such as
placing externals inside.  I'm not sure whether this is a feature I
like or not.  It has both advantages and disadvantages.  There is no OS
X in the engines folder, so maybe if I put one there, it would take
that one, instead.)

So the issues:
For other than OS X, the result is not monolithic, in general.
If forced to be, the path is not what it was in most debugging and
testing.
Oh, the application main stack is moved in the message path anyway.

Dar Scott