Problem with field borderwidth 2

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Dec 31 17:11:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Welcome to XP.

I am uncertain whether I should be happy about this - not your
"welcome", but about XP

> Rev now supports native appearances for fields on XP when the field's
> default values are left in place (borderWidth set to 2).  So what your
> screen show at <http://www.sanke.org/RevTestPage/>  is showing is XP's
> rendering of the field border.
>
> You'll see a similar thing on OS X: while the appearance differs from
> XP, when a field border is set to the default value of 2 OS routines are
> used to render the control instead of the engine's.
>
> I think this should be overridable.  Standard and Rectangle style
> buttons also take on native appearances, but you can override this by
> specifying a backgroundColor.
>
> Perhaps we need a Bugzilla request so that if the borderColor is set the
> OS no longer draws the control and it uses the engine's internal routines.
>
> Please post the bug number after you log it so we can vote for that
> enhancement.
>
> In the meantime a workaround is to set the style of the field to
> "shadow" instead of "rectangle" or "scrolling", and then to prevent the
> shadow from drawing set its shadowwidth to 0 (zero).  Shadow-style
> fields are always drawn by the engine, so you should get what you're
> after with those.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Media Corporation

Thanks, Richard, for the information and clarification of the
consequences of being provided with the default option of "native
appearances". This again raises the question how we could be quickly
informed about such consequences. I tried a search of the Rev docs,
probably in a amateurish manner, so nothing illuminating came up.

The workaround you proposed, style "shadow" and setting "shadowoffset"
to zero, does not solve the problem.

What really works is setting the "Look and Feel" to "Windows emulated"
or to "Windows 95" (sic!) with Metacard.
Consequently, if you got stacks that need to have fields with a
borderwidth of 2 in non-native XP look, you should care for that in a
preopenstack-stack handler.

So I am unsure whether to file a Bugzilla enhancement request. What
should I propose? To completely eliminate the borderwidth-2 related
"native" XP appearance or to connect it with a more unlikely borderwidth
of - let's assume - 10 pixels?

What do you think?

Best regards and anything positive for you I can imagine for a Happy New
Year!

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>