multiple local sockets

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Dec 30 20:14:24 EST 2004

Nicolas Cueto wrote:

>I was hoping someone might care to comment on the following before-and-after
>script outlines, perhaps even going so far as to also suggest a simpler way.

It might be easier to suggest a simpler way if you could explain what
you *want* to do.
Suggesting changes to the code you give leaves the possibility that we
miss a really simple way because of the assumptions you have already
made in the code you provide.

>Appended below, too, is the perhaps relevant sections from the Rev
>documentation, but the implementation of which I'm afraid I could not
>understand (i.e., how or where to actually refer in a script to a
>non-numeric socket identifier I've arbitrarily assigned).

You can simply say something like

open socket "192.168.0.1:8080|myconnectionname" with message "sendItOne"

and then you have given a connection name which will never conflict with
one that accept will give.

The next paragraph says (or at least, I read it as saying) that "accept"
will only ever use numeric values for the ID part - hence will never
conflict if you use a non-numeric ID like "myconnectionname"

>#########REV DOC: accept command###########
>When a connection is made or a datagram is received, the accept command
>creates a new socket that can be used to communicate with the other system
>(or process). When using the close socket, read from socket, or write to
>socket commands, you can refer to this socket with a socket identifier that
>looks like this:
>
>  host:port[|connectionID]
>
>where the connectionID is a number assigned by the accept command. (You only
>need to specify the connection number if there is more than one socket
>connected to a particular port and host.)
>
>#########REV DOC:open socket command#######
>Note:  When the accept command creates a socket, it assigns a number as the
>connection name. If you are using both the open socket command and the
>accept command to connect to the same port on the same host, make sure to
>use a non-numeric connection name that won?t conflict with the numbers
>assigned by the accept command. This ensures that you can always refer to
>two different sockets by distinct socket identifiers.

-- Alex.