menu woes...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Dec 30 02:33:35 EST 2004

Paul,

Very good point indeed. In fact, IMO, the documentation is the most
critical component which needs 'help' in the IDE. More than once, I've
found myself going back to a previous version of Rev to access the old
stack-based documents.

I really like what Monte has done with the XML approach, but there are
things missing, specifically the inability to quickly search all help
docs for a single phrase. Of course, with the docs in XML format, it
would be easy for someone to write an indexer for them.

I really like the 'online' component of the docs, but find it's not used
much. Possibly, if it were used more, and searchable, it might make
things easier for doc writers.

A good number and high quality of examples is also quite helpful. I seem
to remember Jeanne telling me some astronomical figure for the number of
hours it would take to properly make examples for all of the handlers,
functions, properties, etc.. in the existing documentation. If all of us
could do so when needed, and have them linked to the existing docs, it
would certainly make things easier for all of us.

best,

Chipp