menu woes...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Dec 30 02:17:08 EST 2004

Frank Leahy wrote:

> I think the Windows menu bar should be a separate object in the window,
> that is not attached to the "content" area.  This would mean that a
> window was comprised of the window titlebar (on Mac and PC), the window
> menu bar (on PC only), and the window content area (on Mac and PC).
>
> The current hidden group implementation is fraught with problems.  For
> example, I want to change the font to something larger than the default,
> but I don't dare for fear of doing something that will never be
> correctable.

Frank,

I'm glad the Windows menu bar is *not* separate. I want to be able to
have the utmost in flexibility with my menu designs so that I can make a
menu with other stuff on the same level as in:

www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/trash/trash.htm

Notice, in the image above, I *have* changed the fontsize of the menuGrp
with no problems whatsoever in the resizing. In fact, on the mac, the
window looks *identical* with the exception the menuBar is (of course)
on the top of the screen - but there is no window size difference.

On the Mac, it is expected one should do things a certain way, but this
is not so on Windows- see the menubar feature in the latest version of
MS MediaPlayer for instance.

I wish the menu system to stay how it is, but hope there are better
examples and documentation on how to resolve different cross-platform
problems.

best,

Chipp